Here is my completed Ravenclaw Tie for the first part of the contest.
You can read a bit about how I made it and what I might do differently next time here.
I already posted a little about it before and you can read more about the beginnings of the project here.
I wanted to do something in my house colors and I had been sorted into Ravenclaw. My main constraint, however, was that I wanted to do something using stash. I have a lot of stash, but I don't have a lot of any one color. I discovered that I didn't have any blue or bronze yarn, but I did discover a wee bit of blue and bronze fiber. So I quickly spun up the fiber (it was only a wee bit) and I combined it with some of my handspun Wensleydale heathered navy yarn and created a tie.
Why a tie? I didn't want to make anything directly from the movies, but I was somewhat inspired by the movies. In the movies, the students do wear ties under their school robes. But the ties are not knit ties. I happen to like knit ties and have two knit ties (commercial made) that I do wear once in a while. I had always wanted to try my hand at making a tie, so this seemed like a perfect opportunity. Since I didn't have much blue and bronze, I wanted to make something that would show off the little I had, so it had to be a fairly small project. However, it turned out taking longer than I thought it would.
About 140 yards of DK weight handspun in navy, blue, bronze.
Number 2 needles.
Double knitting technique to create a tube using 2 straight needles.
Pattern of my own creation.
Now I have to start thinking about a project for the second half of the KAL :)